Wednesday, April 2, 2008

'c' day

Adam had his spinal tap today. This was the first 'procedure' that Martha and I were not both with Adam. I stayed at work and Martha went with Adam. Martha tells me it went well as far as the procedure itself is concerned. On time and with little pain for Adam. He has been prescribed this anesthetizing cream that is supposed to be applied about an hour before his skin is to be stuck. Apparently it really works. Again, small blessings. The results of the spinal tap will be known before his chemo starts tomorrow.

We found out just yesterday that chemo and chicken pox are a really bad combination. We emailed Adam's teachers asking about any outbreaks. Ms. Dooley promptly replied that yes there have been significant outbreaks. Adam's home room teacher, Ms. Garman, says that the student sitting next to Adam in some class had chicken pox. Adam will have to get a titer prior to getting chemo. Martha told me she came close to losing her temper today at the Cancer Center because it seems like we could have been told about this chicken pox concern prior to two days before chemo is to begin, $1800 of the wrong medicine was sent to our house because of poor communication between the Center and the aetna pharmacy which was then billed to our insurance and nobody seems to know the exact dosage of radiaton Adam will be getting. It's enough to make you holler...

The pressure is building. I came close to losing my own temper with Martha when she called me at work urging me to get someone in HR to go to bat for us with aetna. I work for HCA and only HCA hospitals are considered 'in network'. We are facing many procedures so it would do us a lot of good to convince aetna to understand that there are no HCA hospitals in the area that provide pediatric oncology and therefore we should be able to get 'in network' co pay rates. Whatever. It's only money. The point being that it will take more effort, at least for me, to remain calm and practice loving kindness toward Martha and the kids. I will make the effort and when I fail I will try again. (And of course Martha was right, it will help if I can get the HR director to be an advocate.)

Our neighbors, John and Julia, are really great. They took Adam and Camille in while I had to stay at work late and Martha went to go work out (which is not a luxury). When I finally got home and went to pick Adam and Camille up I was invited to stay for dinner. It was delicious, I probably wasn't the best conversationalist, and John, Julia and their kids were incredibly hospitable. I take nothing for granted.

Tomorrow is 'c' day. Chemo begins. The anxiety and stress mount. I am hoping that Adam will somehow be 'above average' in his ability to tolerate what he has to go through.

Please pray for us, please think of us, please breathe for us.

peace


No comments: