Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham Lincoln

I work in psychiatry, so part of me knows that this quote isn't entirely factual, but part of me also knows that there is a lot of truth in it. Dealing with Adam's illness and his resulting mood etc., dealing with work or dealing with myself could all lead to the opposite of happiness. It's not hard to sink, all you have to do is stop swimming. But swimming can be fun, even though it makes you tired....it's tired in a good way. Times are tough all over but I notice that when I choose to express myself in pleasant ways, not over react, be gentle, even if I have to fake it, this has a real effect on my own mood. I could probably use an anti-depressant from time to time but honestly I just need to buck up. Fake 'til I make it, as my friend Nan would probably say. Adam is still feeling pretty bad today. That may be due to the antibiotics more than the recent chemo. Work is a mf'er sometimes. But this morning as I was walking from my car into the hospital I decided to be happy. Good thing too because lots of stuff has been thrown my way today....but it ain't stickin.

People I appreciate today: Martha, Marie, Stephanie, Jay W., Sara Grace, Mark, Yvette, Nan and Dr. Sastry.

No comments: