Thursday, May 8, 2008

bouncing back

Adam has had a string of good days in a row. Today he is back for his weekly outpt chemo and we hope to keep on truckin'. I had an email conversation with the Cancer Center social worker, Cindy. I was conveying some of my concerns about Adam's mood, fatigue and dropping energy level after his last inpatient stay. She asked if Adam was staying in contact with his friends and getting out of the house when he felt up to it. I told her that after the 'nadir' of his white cell blood count he seemed to bounce back. I had emailed her because I was worried that Adam may be dealing with depression, in addition to everything else. Cindy assured me that not only was Adam's fatigue and moodiness to be expected but based on my answers to her questions Adam was doing better than expected. Needless to say, this is relieving.

Cindy was also very happy that we are taking advantage of Camp Horizon. Apparently the Camp is so good that kids continue to want to go even after their cancer has been in remission. She also assures me that there will be a kids support group starting soon at Gilda's Club. This is good to know and Adam, I think, would benefit.

Martha has been doing the lions share and more of daily caring for Adam. This is becoming more challenging as she still has big responsibilities at work. I am going to try to contribute a little more on this front. I think during these upswings in Adam's mood and health he can stay home by himself and I can come home to have lunch with him, make sure he is not destroying the house and encourage him to get his school work done. I think we can make this work.

Adam has been honored by his cousin, and Godparent, Eddie. He is being asked to be the ring bearer at Eddie's wedding in August. The wedding is going to be in Memphis. Talk about HOT. That is very cool and I think Adam will look smashing in a tux!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Adam-This is Bear..You'll never guess what I did this morning..I was a judge in a science contest for the 5th and 6th grade at Robertsdale Elementary School..Man it took 2 and 1/2 hours in a gym where they did not have the a/c on..saving money I guess.It was neat.and I learned a lot.Wish you had been there.This exhibit showed that you tell when people were lying by their facial expression..Did you know that?? So be careful !!..I was glad when it was over with..it was hot..Love you Bear

Carson said...

Adam, we are sooooo happy you are feeling better and hope the output is as painless as possible