Thursday, May 8, 2008

keeping faith

Adam is working on his erector set that Grandma sent him. He's kind of a geek for these things, which is great actually, now I have to go get on to him to go to bed.

An old and dear friend emailed us today. It's funny how you may have friends that you rarely see or even talk to but they remain your very good friends. Simpatico. He said he and his wife have been following this open letter and it has cheered them up a little. Her good friend has cancer and has withdrawn from the world. Adam is not alone, and by god we would not let him withdraw. The Vandy social worker told me today that some kids refuse to even leave their room while going through treatment. I'm not sure how I would respond if I was diagnosed. I know I have learned that there just ain't no way to do this, deal with it, alone. But I also have learned, am learning, that Adam can be a little shit some times. And I have to be patient with that. It's ok. His mood grows dark, he gets mean, and it's like a wave that washes over all of us. Martha and I bicker more at each other. Our patience for Camille diminishes. But we have to maintain. We have to see through those times. There is a little boy down the street. This kid worships Adam, the way little boys do. He constantly wants to hang out. Some times Adam is ok with that, plays with him, sometimes Adam can be down right rude. But this little boy keeps coming over. We worry that Adam may be pushing away people that care about him. And he does. But they keep coming back. Antonio, JP, Finn.....I guess that is love.

My prayer tonight is that all those who have felt pushed away by their friends or those they love who are suffering from cancer, depression, whatever don't give up, don't quit on their friend. This may be the time to reach out again and if that fails, reach again...

No comments: