Friday, May 23, 2008

attitude choice

Yesterday was Adam's weekly outpt chemo visit. It was also one week since the last inpt chemo. As expected Adam was feeling down, fatigued and just out of sorts. This contrast with only the day before when he was practically hyper kinetic. Today he is still feeling tired (and actually had a pretty rough night) but that has been buoyed by being invited by his friend Antonio to spend the night at Antonio's grandmother's cabin. She had called earlier today to ask how Adam was doing and if it was ok to call and ask if Adam could come over and play with Antonio from time to time. I told her it was always, always, ok to call and ask. Adam's mood and energy level is so varied day to day you just never know. It is definitely a lift for me and Martha when Adam is able to get out with friends while he has been in treatment. JP came over on Wednesday afternoon, the day Adam was feeling so good, because Adam wanted to make a movie with JP (Adam has discovered the video function on our digital camera). Adam had been filming his Speed Racer hotwheels all afternoon and wanted some live actors. When Adam is engaged with others, and not being pulled down by his illness, all is right with the world.

Camille's and Adam's last day of school was yesterday. Here comes the summer. The Summer of 2008 will always be our Cancer Summer. I pray, hope and beg that it is the only summer we have with that title. Adam is about to have his chemo holiday in two weeks; right after his next inpt chemo. The second week of the holiday he will go to Camp Horizon. Then he starts radiation and continues with weekly chemo; but then we will be in the home stretch to the end. Adam will be going back to school, regular school not homebound, in the fall.

I am working on my guitar daily (of course, I just got it two days ago). I am also continuing to work on my breathing, attitude choice and reflectiveness (as opposed to reactiveness). This has paid off some this week but I am still very glad that the weekend is here. I need to run more. I have been lazy in the morning and it's too hot in the afternoon. Tomorrow is Martha's birthday but we are not going to celebrate until the next weekend. My folks are coming back up and I have a special plan for Martha. It's been another tough week at work but it is ending well. The boss even said to go home early, which is what I am about to do.

Tomorrow we are going to Regine and Todd's cookout. Maybe we will even go to the swimming pool this weekend; just have to make sure Adam is lathered up with sunscreen.

Have a good one!

No comments: