Friday, March 28, 2008

port-o-cath

We are only two weeks into this thing and already it seems like Vandy Childrens Hospital is our home away from home. At first hospitals always seem like daunting places--you'll never know your way around. It doesn't take long to get pretty familiar.



We checked in at 9am to the 3rd floor. This is the surgical floor. We filled out paper work, paid the co pay, and hung out. Outwardly we probably appeared at ease but inwardly it still really sucks. I think in my own mind the denial process is still in place. I have to will my brain to remember that this procedure today is only the beginning. Adam had bone marrow sampled to rule out metastasis and for research which we consented to on our first visit to Dr. Kuttesch's and he had a 'port-a-cath' implanted into his chest. This will provide a less painful and more stable vein to inject chemo medications over the next 6 months. We think '6 months' because during Adam's operations today Dr. K sat down with us and explained that it looks as if the tumor Adam had was successfully removed and from the imaging tests so far there is no metastasis. The bone marrow scan could still show spread but Dr. K seems optimistic, as much as he is willing to show optimism, that Adam will qualify for a 'low risk' study group and will be able to participate in a treatment protocol that uses less intensive chemo. What this means is that for the first 3 months he will get the standard cocktail of three medications, and for the second 3 months he will get only two of those medications. This regimen is also shorter than the standard protocol which I believe is 9 months. Dr. K explained that this will reduce his exposure to the harsh side effects, short term and long term.



Make no mistake, Adam will still go through what most of us know about chemo: nausea, hairloss, weakness, etc. But the alternative is worse. Small blessings count!

Today, as usual, Adam handled things with grace and charm---and a little detachment. The one thing he was excited about was that the nurse, Meredith who was with Adam yesterday, made a special trip to see Adam and brought him the FLARP Noise Putty that he lost yesterday which had been given to Adam by the CT tech who thought he was a clown. Adam couldn't stop laughing yesterday when he was making fart sounds and was thrilled that Meredith went to the trouble. Hail Meredith.....

The surgery went fine. Adam had a little nausea from the morphine and was sleepy of course but no other problems. We just got back home a little while ago. Adam and I are sitting watching Rattatouie.

We have an appt with Dr. K on Tuesday. I think at that point we will seal the deal with regards to the 'low risk' regimen. Adam's chemotherapy starts next Thursday. Dr. K says he will be getting treatments about every 3 weeks but will be seen in the office weekly. The first chemo treatment will be a hospital admission. Depending on how Adam handles that he may have outpt sessions going forward. I am not really sure.


4 comments:

Carson said...

It's good news that Adam will have chemo for 6 months instead of a year.


Love Cecile

Sarah Harshaw said...

Adam,
I work with your mom at SJRI and I just want to let you know we are all praying for you and your family. You seem to be a very courageous young man. If you are anything like your mother then you're also very smart. Your mother is my go to woman whenever I have a medical questions. She always knows the answer. Good luck with the start of your chemo.
Sarah Harshaw

Dave said...

Hey guys,

You guys are doing great with all this. Best case scenario is of course a relief and that is good. Cathy really feels positive about his prognosis. I tend not to allow myself to get too excited out of fear and distrust for the unknown. Still, of all the scenarios it seems this one is the best and that is really good. I'm sure it won't be easy on Adam but kids are amazing in ways I don't think we as adults can be anymore. They are so brave and stoic and roll with the punches better than I think I could. Their resiliency and fearlessness is supreme. I love hearing about how Adam is handling this and dealing with it. I believe he's going to get through it fine. It may in fact in some ways be harder on you and Martha so you guys do your best to be as brave as he is too OK?

Thanks for keeping us posted. Best to Adam in the next couple weeks. It could be the most difficult part but in the end it will probably make him stronger and wiser than the average man. Our hearts and thoughts are with you. All the best. Happy Sunday,

Dave

frydvg said...

Adam and your family are in my prayers. Please let me know if I can do anything to help. Martha, you are welcome to use our laundry and dryer--I heard you wee going to the laundry mat! Keep in mind that Emma can assist Adam with any school work. Adam,would you like to come over to borrow some movies? Let me know what day next week you need a meal.

Vivien