Friday, June 20, 2008

two weeks goes by fast

We picked up Adam today. We got to Camp Horizon, which is only about 35 minutes from our house, around 4pm. He didn't want to leave. We met some of his new friends and the counselors. Adam had two counselors and we gave them a bottle of wine each. Wine is always a risky gift for someone you don't really know but Jonathan and Poncho both seemed to really appreciate it. Adam says he liked archery, drama, pottery and swimming the most. He also played a mean game of Risk according to Poncho. We were pretty sure Adam would enjoy it, but you never know. He really did and says he wants to go back next year. Many of the kids at Horizon have been back year after year and some are in remission; especially the older ones. Adam and Lucas, a little boy he knows from clinic at Vandy, were the only totally bald kids. Others had scars and other signs of cancer's presence. Hopefully next summer Adam will be in remission and be a Horizon veteran. And he was clearly proud of himself for being picked to be the in the news story. (see post below)

Adam's two weeks of chemo holiday have gone by quickly but he has had a very good time. And he has felt better each day....especially this past week. Monday he starts radiation therapy and he will go daily for the next 4 weeks; Monday through Friday. He also starts outpt chemo again on Thursday. Outpt chemo will continue until the end of August.

Yesterday at work a nurse I work with but don't really know that well called me in my office and asked if she could come down and see me. This was 455 and I was really looking forward to leaving but I said 'Yes, sure, come on down' or something to that effect. I really had no idea what she wanted to talk about but I assumed that it must be a complaint about one of my staff. Not something I wanted to deal with at 5pm on a Thursday. She arrived at my office with a shy smile and what appeared to be tears welling up in her eyes. She tells me she is afraid she is going to get too emotional if she speaks but finally she does. She tells me her friend, who happens to work with Martha, told her recently about Adam. She said that she didn't know how to approach me, even though she sees me many times a week, but she did start praying the Rosary with her prayer group on behalf of Adam and our family. Then she hugged me.

No comments: