Tuesday, June 3, 2008

angels


Adam has strung together a few good days. The weekend went well. Yesterday Adam, JP and Foster went swimming out at Foster's grandmother's pool for most of the afternoon. Adam is feeling good again today. He still gets tired easily but his mood and desire to get out and have fun have been present.

Today Adam and Martha went to eat at our favorite Chinese restaurant. This was the first time Adam has been there since his appearance has changed. The staff, who know us pretty well, were in a bit of a tizzy. There was also a rock and roll dude in there. Long hear, tattoos, leather, the whole works. As Adam and Martha were leaving one of the waiters caught them at the door and gave Adam a $20 bill. He said the 'dude' wanted Adam to go buy himself a new gameboy game. I guess angels come in all sizes, shapes and leathers!

Tomorrow Adam has a 'date' with an old friend, Grayson. She was a classmate of Adams at Children's House and St. Bernards Academy. She has been posting very supportive messages on this blog. She and her mom have asked Adam to go see Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian, tomorrow afternoon. Grayson is a cute and very positive girl and I know hanging out with her and her mom Heather will only brighten Adam even more.

Thursday it's back into Children's Hospital for the last of the inpatient chemo treatments. I know chem 'is our friend' but we will be happy to have this part of the chemo treatments behind us.

On a personal note, I have hit a bit of a concrete floor at work and have decided to take action of the chemical variety. My favorite medical provider is writing a prescription for an antidepressant. Balancing what is going on at home and the increasingly tight situation at work has taken its toll. Yes I am trying to meditate, yes I am trying to be mindful, yes I am still running (though not enough), yes I am learning guitar as a way to focus, and yes I am praying to God (whether he or she is listening I am not sure at times) but I still need some help. If I had time that might be of the talking kind but for the time being the serotonin increasing kind will have to do. Bless me father for I have sinned.......

4 comments:

Mary Maynard said...

"Better living through Chemistry!"...a quotable quote from Ben who when diagnosed with anxiety disorder refused the meds--until "it" happened again. Mary

lisa said...

Thank goodness for pharmaceuticals! Peace and Love. Lisa

Betty Lou said...

No need to make a trip to the confessional, my friend. Been there and done that and the meds got me through it!

Betty Lou

Sherman and Julie Childers said...

God is always listening it's just sometimes the answer's aren't what we want to hear, but usually they are what is best for us when we look back. Perfect example God provides us with the chemicals we need to help us when we need them. It's not weakness it is having the sense to know it is time.