Saturday, June 14, 2008

homecoming

April 08
June 08
We flew stand-by going to and coming back from California. A friend of Martha's gave us two stand-by round trip tickets. What a generous gift! We didn't have to wait at all on the trip to L.A. and we only had to wait a few hours on the trip back from San Diego. We got back last night just before 10pm Nashville time. I don't think we ever adjusted to pacific time so we all slept well last night.



The trip was a success. Martha and I both agree that these types of busy, packed, itinerary laden trips take their toll on our energy but we also agree that the purpose of the trip, to get away from chemo and let Adam have a fabulous time, was successfully accomplished. Adam didn't complain about his stomach once and his energy level seemed to stay up based on all the running around he did in the parks. We made a big deal on Thursday at Legoland that it was usually chemo day but "NO CHEMO TODAY!".



Adam is a bald as a cue ball. That I have gotten use to. But he is also losing his eyebrows and eyelashes. When I was talking to Jared about this today he said, "Now he looks like a kid with cancer." True, he does, but he is also harder to interpret with regards to his thoughts and feelings. I think we interpret how others are feeling by their eyes and the shape of their eyebrows. 90% of communication is nonverbal and a big part of the nonverbal stuff is in the eyes. I have had more difficulty lately understanding what Adam is trying to say. Certainly I have had challenges understanding what he is feeling. I need to listen more and look less, I guess. I hope I get better because I don't think his hair is coming back anytime soon and apparently eyebrows and lashes take a very long time to grow back.



Regarding his hair, Adam has been incredibly unselfconscious about going bald. He really doesn't seem to care. I think I thought this would be a bigger deal to him because I was projecting my own feelings about hair loss. I guess I was imagining how I would feel in the same circumstances. Maybe if Adam were a little older he would care more in an adolescent self conscious sort of way. Whatever. It's a blessing that Adam doesn't seem hurt by his hair loss. One less thing to deal with.



I picked up Camille today in Chattanooga from Jared. She had two fun filled weeks with her cousins in Alpharetta. Yet another blessing bestowed. Camille obviously had a great time and can't stop talking about her cousins Kira and Scott. All the way home from Chattanooga she was a chatter box until she nodded off to sleep. It's great to have her back. She came home and gave Adam a big hug. Adam was happy to see her (mostly). Tomorrow he's off to camp and Camille gets mom and dad all to herself.

No comments: