Monday, September 1, 2008

best laid plans

This is not it. Friday I picked up Adam from school to go to what we thought would be his last chemo session. I reminded him on the way to the clinic that 'this is it', no more chemo. I was hoping he would be a little more chipper, or at least not flat out rude toward the clinic staff, because there would be no more treatments after today. It worked a little. He wasn't quite as dismissive of the nurses and the doctor. We had a new doctor, Dr. Stephanie Lowas. She had just joined the clinic a few weeks ago. She was very nice and very good with Adam. She also had some disappointing news. Adam's white blood count was 250, about 450 less than it should be in order to go forward with the chemo. This makes sense because he had just had a chemo treatment on Monday. Chemo brings down his white blood count. Damn, damn, damn. His 'last' chemo would have to be rescheduled for next Thursday. Adam was not happy, but he didn't fall apart either. He quickly realized that this meant we could get started with our planned trip to Dauphin Island to spend some time with Juju, Bear, Lucy, Jay, Tucker and Julia.



Martha could not go down south. Her brother John is dying of cancer. He is in hospice and she has to be ready to fly down for the funeral. Also she just couldn't go on 'vacation' while her family is preparing for John's death. Also she had to work all day Friday and couldn't leave early. Also, she could use the break.



So Adam, Camille and me were driving down to Gulf Coast planning a rendezvous with Gustav. Makes no sense at all. Except that Adam really wanted this trip and there was a chance that the storm would go further west and Dauhpin Island would remain unblemished this time. I kept telling myself this as we hit some of the worse traffic I have experienced driving to the Alabama coast. I also kept thinking, "Am I a complete idiot to be driving my kids toward what appears to be a major hurricane?!" Ah, yeah, I guess I am. It took us about 9 hours. We got in sometime after 11pm at night.



Saturday was good. Adam and Camille, Tucker and Julia, had a fun time on the beach, looking for shells and hermit crabs, playing in the pool and of course watching football. Cousin Finn joined us later. Adam sees Finn every summer. But they still had to warm up to each other and I imagine Finn was a little nervous about how to deal with his cousin with cancer. Finn did great. Adam did pretty good too. With a little encouragement Adam, Finn, uncle Jay and me got into a wicked keep away pool football game. It may have worn Adam out a little but it was great to see him having a such a ball. That night we all watched Alabama beat up on Clemson. Adam nodded off during the third quarter. Finn gave us a lot of color commentary. Good times.

We figured that our time on the Island was going to be brief, as in we would be leaving Sunday, so I made the decision to cancel the party we had planned for all the great folks who have been supporting Adam. Sorry we couldn't show our appreciation more concretely but please know how much we appreciate your prayerful support.



Sunday morning the condo owner sent some guys over to board up the porch doors. So much for the view. We also got word that the Island was being evacuated. We casually loaded up and headed over to Fairhope. Luckily the traffic flow from Louisiana and Mississippi was flowing. Heavy, but flowing. We unpacked. This whole time I was trying to practice what I think I have been learning over the past 6 months. Breathe, flow, and go with it. Hanging out with one's family gives many opportunities to practice this skill, but add an oncoming hurricane and an interrupted vacation and it's like your final exam of acceptance.



We cancelled the party but I insisted that we invite my cousin Carson, David and their kids William and Cecile over for dinner. Carson and her family have been particularly supportive. As I have written before I think, Carson has been steadfast in both morale support and very practical support. She and family took Camille to Kanuga in the middle of the summer. As I told Carson, this was so special because this summer will be the first summer Camille really remembers and it will always be associated with Adam's cancer, but at least part of it will be remembered by Camille has having so much fun with Cecile, 'big brudder' and the 'girl mom'.

Hurricane Gustav is battering the Mississippi and Louisiana coasts as I write. My in laws have all made it out of New Orleans and it appears that most of the inhabitants have evacuated. I heard today that 2 million people evacuated the coast. Apparently this is the largest evacuation in American history. Wow. Mary and Ben and their kids are in Nashville with Martha. And maybe that's the reason Martha stayed behind.


until next time....

No comments: