Tuesday, September 23, 2008

More about John

It is truly amazing how individuals can have such huge influence on others. Teachers have some of the most powerful influence. I am reminded of this daily with both of my children in 'real' school now.
A few posts ago I wrote briefly about my brother in law John who recently died of cancer. John's passion in life was teaching. He did what he loved. Who could ask for more? In tribute to John I selected only a few of the many tributes written to him by former students.
I couldn't help but think what folks will say about me when I am gone. We touch people for better or worse every day. No one gets through this life without making a wake. We are only human and will dish out our share of positive and negative energy. John certainly had his share of both but having read and re read what others have said about him I am truly proud to have known him and been part of his family.
Please read for yourself.


To Mr Fuchs family & friends: Mr Fuchs was one of those teachers that you would never forget. I never had him as a teacher but I would go to him if I had an english question or just to talk . He would always encouge me & tell me not to worrie about the small things. When I told him that I was leaving DLS to go to another HS He said" if you need help any time with the other school english come and vist and he would help" . He will be greatly miss by all of us who had him as a teacher at DE LA SALLE and who knew him. Mr. Fuchs please watch over your family, friends and your former students. May god bless you and may you rest in peace.Love Kathryn (Katie) Richardson class of 2002

Kathryn(Katie) Richardson (Columbus OH /NOLA, OH)
Contact me




Mr. Fuchs was the best teacher I've ever had. When I didn't understand something in the text, he was patient and helped me many mornings before school started. He really cared about everyone and wanted them to do well. I miss his funny lectures and the faces he would make in explaining things. And I miss the Mike N' Ikes that he use to pass out to everyone in class! He is by far my favorite teacher and I will always remember him.

Thao Tran (New Orleans, LA)
Contact me



Mr. Fuchs was without a doubt my favorite teacher of all time. He inspired me everyday to be a better learner, observer, writer, reader, and person. I always loved the way he made the class laugh but still got his point across. He obviously cared about his students more than any other teacher I can remember and it showed in every way. Whether it was bringing cupcakes on Fridays (against the Administration's wishes) or getting under his desk and putting a metal trashcan over his head to illustrate a part of Canterbury Tales, it was clear that his students were always on his mind in one way or another. I was so blessed to have been able to keep in touch with him long after I graduated from De La Salle. I would practically run to DLS from UNO to show him my grades in English classes and was so very proud to let him know that I was following in his footsteps and becoming a teacher just like him. I only hope that I impact my students the way he impacted my life.All My Love,Caroline N. Laurent De La Salle Class of 1999

Caroline Laurent (New Orleans, LA)

2 comments:

Carson said...

It sounds like he was a nice guy. A real nice guy.

Cecile

NinthCrime said...

Hi, I don't know how I came upon this blog but Mr. Fuchs' name caught my eye.
My name is Holly Fitzgerald, I'm a senior at Chalmette High School and a student of Mr. Fuchs.
I was lucky enough to have him as a teacher my sophomore year and my junior year, and that frankly wasn't enough. I even asked one of my school counselors about the possibility of having him teach and English IV class so I could be in his class again.
Mr. Fuchs was, without a doubt, the best teacher I've ever had. I've never had a teacher like him.. I learned more from him in two years than I have from any other English class, ever. I knew that I mattered to him, as a student and a friend. No teacher has ever asked me what I wanted to be, where I wanted to go to college, what kind of books I enjoyed reading. Just trusting me with one of his favorite books so that I could read it over the summer meant everything in the world to me.
In his classes, I literally sat on the edge of my seat. I tried to soak up everything he said, and I can remember every story, note, and lesson.. He told me that his favorite college professor- his "surrogate daddy of literature"- helped him write his thesis on Bernard Malamud, his favorite writer. On the last day of school I gave him an anthology of Bernard Malamud stories to read on the days when he couldn't get out of bed. Those days were becoming much more frequent.
When my school counselor- the same one I asked about him teaching me again- called me down to tell me the news of his passing, I cried in her office for the entire lunch period. I feel as though I've lost a family member. My "surrogate daddy of literature". I'm going to his service on Saturday, and I know it's going to sting.
Mr. Fuchs was my hero, I still carry his picture in my wallet, and I still have his favorite book on my bookshelf.


..I don't really know why I wrote this. I just wanted to let you know that my life was also touched by his presence. I learned about love, life, happiness, and death through him, when he was only required to teach me English.

Love & gratitude,
Holly P. Fitzgerald