Thursday, September 4, 2008

damn, damn, damn

Damn, damn, damn. Once again Adam's white blood count was too low. In the 400s instead of over 750 where it needs to be to continue and complete his chemo. Another office visit, another painful needle going into his port o cath, another missed half day of school for nothing. Dr. Kuttesch also informs us that Adam actually has two more chemo sessions to go. Our next appt is on Monday to check his count. If it's over 750 he will be infused, if not then we wait until his blood is right. His final (and we really mean it this time) chemo session will be three weeks after this next one (whenever that is).

Dr. K was somewhat perplexed about why his count was so low. He asked if Adam had been sick, feverish, etc. Not since two Mondays ago. Actually his health, as measured by energy level and mood, seems to have been better while we were down on the coast. Whatever the reason, this continues my frustration with these last weeks of treatment. They seem to be dragging way, way out.

My parents gave me a laughing Buddha statue for my birthday. It now sits at the front door and will hopefully remind me to keep all in perspective, focus on the positive, and breathe one day at a time....

After today's fruitless clinic visit Adam and I went to eat some pizza at Pizza Perfect, right across from Vanderbilt, and then to Borders book store. We had to compete with Vanderbilt-South Carolina football traffic to park but the book store was a nice debriefing from the clinic. Adam got his favorite, Charlie Bone #6 (I think), I found something too. Just hanging out in the bookstore helped chill us down I think.

Camille has a make up soccer practice this afternoon. There is a tennis court at the park where she practices. I might try and get Adam to hit some balls.

Last night Martha and I went to see Squeeze. The show was great. They referred to themselves as their own best cover band which only made me feel old. But they played loud and sharp and just about all their hits. Aimee Mann opened. Couldn't have been better. Mary, Ben, Patrick and his friend Zack also joined us. They evacuated from New Orleans but returned today. Good times...

2 comments:

Carson said...

I am so sorry about John and the remaining chemo, but happy ya'll had a good time down here. We enjoyed getting to see you again--and the wine.

Keep your fingers crossed that Ike fizzles out or dramatically, changes track away from the Fla. Ala., Miss., LA Gulf Coast. We don't wish hurricanes on anyone, but we do feel it is some other area's turn. Barring that, a true reduction in force down to a Tropical Storm will work too.

Give Martha, Camille, and Adam hugs and know you are continually in our prayers. Carson

Emily Jo said...

I have finally joined the blogging world. Please tell Martha, Adam, & Camille hello. You guys are on my mind a lot.