Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Goodbye John

Several years after being diagnosed with cancer and several months after relapsing my brother in law John died early yesterday morning. He had been in hospice for several weeks.



John and my mother in law Connie were evacuated from New Orleans in Mississippi with my sister in law Connie and her husband Scott.



John's sardonic humor, intelligence and loving curmudgeon sensibility will be missed.



When I told John that I was going back to school to become a social worker many years ago he gently encouraged me not to be the type of social worker who projects a superior, stony faced, objectivity in their work. I think John had run into this type of social worker a lot in his years of teaching school. I frequently think of his helpful career advise in my work at the hospital. I hope that if John had seen me work he would not have been disappointed.



Thanks John.

No comments: