Sunday, July 13, 2008

update Sunday

Friday I took the morning off so that I could take Adam to his daily radiation treatment. It's at 9am Monday through Friday. 9am sharp. We were in and out of there in less than 15 minutes. Then I took Adam to work with me. Adam got to briefly meet the COO and the HR director. I think he was a little bewildered that these folks seemed to know Adam. He is somewhat famous at work. I was hoping that I could do some work, make some rounds, get seen and then sneak out and take Adam to a movie or something. To my own chagrin Adam's eye doctor, Dr. Mawn, wanted Adam to be examined since we are 3/4s through his treatment. She wanted him to be seen at 1pm so after a couple of hours at work I didn't have to play hooky because I really did have to take Adam to the appt.

We were seen by Dr. Armstrong. I think he is one of Dr. Mawn's residents. Nice guy, pretty good with Adam. Dr. Armstrong, after examining Adam's eye, says that there is some dry eye and inflammation caused by the radiation. He also checked out Adam's internal eye pressure and found no problems. I asked about cataracts. Dr. Armstrong says that it's a possibility but not likely for a few years. Basically he says that radiation speeds up the aging of the lens. Adam may have some problems in his late 20s or 30s as opposed to his 50s or 60s. Fair enough.

Adam has another appt with Dr. Mawn on Monday; in between his radiation and chemo appts on the same day.

While we were driving back to Vandy for the eye appt Adam looked at me and said out of the blue, "I hate chemo..." I said "You only have 7 treatments left." He said, "You know why I hate chemo?" I was very interested in why. I could think of a thousand reasons but he was about to tell me his. "Because I haven't been able to do anything all summer." Adam said this without a hint of self pity. He was matter of fact. I still remember all the pain Adam was in during his inpt chemo trips. I remember his stomach aches and feeling bad at home. I remember him having to wait and wait at the chemo clinic. But he hates chemo because it has taken away what he likes best about the summer. I told Adam that we will make up for what he lost out on next summer. Summer 09 will be the Summer of Summers for Adam.

So we saw Dr. Armstrong, went to the pharmacy to get some special eye drops that should help with the swelling and irritation and then went to see Hellboy II....which was very cool. We laughed a lot.

Yesterday, Saturday, Martha, Adam and I went to Birmingham a day before we were supposed to meet Juju and Bear to pick up Camille from her week with Carson and David in Kanuga. Martha thought it would be good to go and hang out at "Alabama Adventure" amusement/water park. We had a good time. A couple of hours into it and the skies opened up, lightening and thunder. They closed the rides and we found our way to the park 'Tavern'. A fully stocked bar......no kidding. We sat and watched the storm and had a couple of beers. It was nice, reminded us of living in New Orleans. Then we went to the water park and Adam had a great time on the slides, the 'lazy' river and wave pool.

This morning we met Juju and Bear with Camille and Kira. Jared and Heather and Scott were there too. Had a nice lunch and got back on the road. Reunited with Camille. She almost immediately passed out asleep. I think she had a great week at Kanuga and could probably use the rest.

1 comment:

Carson said...

I will be surprised if she does not sleep for a week. That child played, swam, danced, ran, sang songs, and hiked around the lake. We all had a great time. Carson