Sunday, January 25, 2009

implants and acceptance


Tomorrow I will pick up Adam a little after 2pm and go meet Martha at the Vandy Children's Cancer Clinic. We have a meeting with Dr. Kutesch at 245. We hope and assume that we will hear that Adam continues to show no cancer. We also hope to hear when his port o cath will be removed. For Adam and us the removal of his implant will mean the end of treatment. Adam's quarterly imaging tests will go on but treatment is over. It's actually been over for a few months but I know that for Adam having to get the port flushed every month still feels awful. The port being removed will also mean that the professionals, Dr. K et al, really think that Adam is in the clear.

The last few months have been really great. Seeing Adam finish his soccer season, go on scout trips and get on with being a typical 11 year old has been a gift. Adam having cancer and going through treatment has certainly given me a new perspective on his health, Camille's health and our health. Take nothing for granted.

Lately for professional and personal reasons I have been trying to learn mindfulness skills. Being present in the moment. Breathing, meditating, praying, and noticing the here and the now. This has helped me be more present for Camille and Adam and has helped me let aggravation, anger, frustration and the rest of it come and go like a wave; instead of getting caught up in it, sulking and letting it fester. Does that mean Adam's illness was a gift? I don't think he would see it that way. Related to mindfullness is 'radical acceptance'. That is, things are as they are, and there is no other way they can be. Instead of flailing and shaking my fist at reality, I try and notice it, acknowledge it and make a decision about how to deal with it. That's what I try and teach my clients and at last that is what I am trying to teach myself. And Adam is to be credited with that bit of wisdom.

No comments: