Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2009 is almost here

It's the night before the last day of the year....and what a year. 2008 will obviously go down in the record books as a major set of 12 months. A lot of stuff went down. For me and mine I am hoping, praying (and the rest of it) that 2009 will be a hell of a lot less interesting. As I said to my cousin just yesterday, we've had enough character building at the Brinson household to last us a year or two. Yes, we have many things to be grateful for.....Adam's return to health, Camille's continued enthusiasm for life, Martha's continued employment (with benefits....), my 'opportunity' to do something different, growing closer to our friends and family. There are many things to be thankful for. But let's face it, 2008 was a year for the crapper....there's just no getting around it. (Obama and the return of liberal values nationally not withstanding.)
Adam got cancer, we lost our savings (lest we forget......and I felt so good all these years putting so much into my 401K), I got laid off, and just to keep this stuff in 'threes', a drunk driver totalled my honda on Christmas eve no less (which I was hoping to run into the ground over the next 5 years.....Adam would have loved getting that thing on his 16th birthday!).

Yep, I really am looking forward to 2009. It's not that I am suspicious enough to think anything cosmically changes on 1/1/09, but it does mark what I hope to be a starting point for a gentle upward curve tracking our family's and friends' minor and major fortunes (not necessarily in the financial sense...but not necessarily not in the financial sense). I hope 2009 offers me personally a chance to renew my enthusiasm for counseling, to be a better dad and husband, to really learn guitar (yes I still have it, but I need to get back to it), to grow spiritually (what ever that might mean), to be less materialistic, more attuned to those around me, a better friend, a better son and brother, to be more generous and patient and thoughtful, to grow in my empathy and reduce my anti social traits (oh, yes, I have plenty of those), to love better, to be more accepting with a capital A.

I am laying on Camille's bed right now. She has fallen asleep after only two stories. She still wants Martha or I to stay with her all night. I will get up soon an 'sneak' up to my own bed. Hopefully she will sleep through the night without waking up and yelling out, scared, for Martha or me to come back and sleep with her. Adam is away at Scout Winter Camp, so she is alone down stairs. Listening to her gentle snoring is really beautiful. Camille has become so full of happiness and light (most of the time). She can be cautious but is usually willing to try new things. I am teaching her how to ride her bicycle which santa gave her this Christmas. She loves it and I think will be riding on her own soon. She is a joy. Camille and Adam are truly wonders to me. Even though I want to slap the 11 year old out of him at times (and I am sure that won't get better with 12) Adam continues to surprise me with his observations and unexpected humorous take on the world. Damn, we have some super kids, and no load of sh%t in 2008 can take that away.

Happy New Year Everybody!

No comments: