Sunday, December 7, 2008

Don't Be Bitter


This is my favorite Matt Groening comic. I think of it often. Lately it's been my personal mantra.....'don't be bitter....breath in......don't be bitter breath out.....repeat'
Bitterness is maybe the most useless of emotions. We all could find reasons to justify our own bitterness; cancer, losing a job, watching one's savings dwindle, 'Bama losing the SEC championship, xenophobes taking over my city....the list could go on. Describing bitterness as an emotion my not be correct. I think of emotions as being somewhat out of our control and bitterness it seems to me is a choice. One can feel hurt, shocked, frustrated , angry ect. These can all lead toward the choice of bitterness; or of the choice to look for opportunity or purpose, inner peace.... Bitterness gets you nothing.
I went to the Skyline doctor/director shindig last night at the Frist Center for the Arts. I was invited before being laid off so I figured 'what the hell.' A night of dress up, free drink, ok food and fabulous imitation eagles music is not to be missed. Martha looked great in a sexy black dress (I had been bragging to my peers at work for weeks about that dress) and my own get-up was a tux (which I can't afford not to wear if given the chance) with a black shirt and tie. I think we looked smashing. The food and wine were actually pretty good and I got to be the 'good guy' to all the other directors and doctors (as far as I know none of whom are losing their jobs....yet anyway).

No comments: