Thursday, November 20, 2008

Goodbye Skyline

14 years. I was 30 when I was hired on as the unit social worker on the Tennessee Christian Medical Center Adolescent Unit; D3 at the time. Bill Aldrich and Kathy Rhodes hired me. Kathy taught me just about all I really needed to know. Treat everyone with respect, especially those who are least able to return that respect to you. That comes in handy on an adolescent psych unit!
I remember my first week. I wore jeans to work. Bill had to take me aside and set me straight on that. On my second day I was assaulted by a boy. He bruised my ribs I couldn't roll over for a week. Welcome to D3!
I remember realizing that half my job on the adolescent unit was explaining to families what Dr. O had actually said, "What Dr. O meant to say was….."
I remember taking the kids down to swim in the pool and the smell of chlorine as we entered the CTC.
I remember being offered a job elsewhere and almost taking it until Kathy and Sandy asked me to take on a manager role with the social work staff. Penny Bidwell, who worked in HR at the time, was so happy that I had chosen to stay. She hardly knew me then but seemed to care about me so much.
I remember starting as a manager and realizing that I didn't know what in the heck I was doing. Looking back I am filled with amazement at how tolerant my staff must have been to put up with me.
I look at my staff now and am filled with pride. I couldn't ask for a better group and I truly believe the folks I have directed are a treasure to Skyline and I pray that they know that.


I remember Shuwanna and Mark convincing me that we had to do something about Katrina and the miraculous generosity of the TCMC community. We filled up Gant Hall in less than a day and formed a rag tag caravan down to the Mississippi coast. Unbelievable. I learned how to operate a chainsaw and got to keep all my fingers. I even got to tell Jimm, the CEO, what to do.

There are so many people who have made such a difference in my life. Most of whom are no longer here but are still part of my memory of this place. Bill, Kathy, Sandy, Allison, Keith, Nan, Dr. Okpaku, Dr. Biliyar, Laura, Kim, Terri Riley, Terry Burnett, Susan, Eric, Mark, Shuwanna, Shelia, Julie, Melissa W, Harry, Ms. Dell, Norman, Yolanda, Marie. …….the more I think the more there are.
This week is not over yet but has been really strange and good. People I know well and not so well have come up to me to let me know how much they appreciate my time here and what I have contributed. What more could I ask for for?
I think what is happening is right for me. It is time and I am ready. The future is unwritten but I am filled with optimism and excitement…and only a little trepidation.


I love you all and I really mean that.
Best.
E

No comments: