Saturday, August 23, 2008

Back in Play


I am assisting soccer coach for Adam's team this year. He had to sit out last season because he had just been diagnosed. I remember being at his soccer practice in March and realizing that he couldn't play the season and would not be coming back for anymore practices.

Yesterday's practice was pretty good. He had probably not had that much physical activity for 6 months. It was hot so I kept telling him to drink water. He tired easily but never gave up. He threw some 11 year old attitude, but nothing too deadly. His team mates who had played with him before were somewhat taken back by his appearance. One kid seeing Adam's nearly bald head, hairless left eye and general depleted condition, said "Adam, is that really you?" But soon they were off running, sweating and kicking.....like normal.

Santiago is the 'real' coach. I have known him for a few years now because our boys have played on the same team frequently. He has also been Adam's coach a couple of times before. He has always impressed me with his calm patience and ever pleasant mood. I told him I could play 'bad' cop to his 'good' cop. So I got after the boys to run a couple of laps. Adam struggled a little on this but did make it around the field twice. Santiago, who is an architect, told me he had been laid off a few months ago. Times have been tough for a lot of folks. He was considering moving and even got some offers from New York. As he checked out that possibility he realized what a great place Nashville is to live and decided to hold out for a local position. Thankfully he was offered a job with a firm that designs hospitals and other medical spaces. He was out of a job for two months and depleted his savings.

Seeing Santiago made me realize, once again, how thankful I should be to live in a great city, with so many good people I have become friends with and such excellent medical care right at our doorstep. Also seeing his attitude was a reminder to resist bitterness and depression even when circumstances push you in that direction. Santiago has 5 boys, all younger that 15, and is obviously a great example to them. I can only aspire to that.

"Man's grasp should exceed his reach, or what is a heaven for."

No comments: